HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Comet Sparky (Read 6238 times)
Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Comet Sparky
May 12th, 2009 at 5:08pm

I thought there were a few threads already started on the Sparky and at least one cook-up, but I can't seem to find anything. We'll we have to do something about that!

I want to build a SAM legal Sparky. I'm using the R9 version of the plans that includes the subrudder. Is there anything I need to know rules-wise before I start?

I'm sure there are plenty of SFAers that have experience with this model. Feel free to share hints, pics and stories here. I'll be chopping wood and printing plans....
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009 at 5:09pm by Alan_Cohen »  
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Re: Comet Sparky
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2009 at 5:32pm

I picked up a kit off Ebay last year for a whopping $3.60. The plans are a newer version (no subrudder), but at least I can scan the printwood.

Speaking of printwood, I weighted one of the sheets for yucks and giggles and it is 15# density. Good for making furniture, but not airplanes.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009 at 5:32pm by Alan_Cohen »  

IMG_1135.JPG (127 KB | )
IMG_1135.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Ron_Dagenais
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ottawa
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2009 at 5:53pm

Alan:  15# wood is Guillows indoor grade.    Ron

IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2009 at 6:43pm

Ron_Dagenais wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 5:53pm:
Alan: 15# wood is Guillows indoor grade. Ron

Grin

I can't imagine how many blades I would go through cutting all those parts out of that wood! I'm ashamed to say I have never bought, acquired or otherwise built a Guillows kit. What kind of modeler am I?

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dave_K
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Nor Cal
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2009 at 8:06pm

The Comet Sparky was the first kit I ever built back when you could get them at the drug store.  I was 8 years old and I the only tools I had was a dull razor and a bottle of ambroid.   My little hands where so tired from cutting all that hard balsa but I kept going and finished.   It even flew.

IP Logged

HatzLymanC
activemembers

An anything aeronautical
advocate!

Sun Prairie, WI
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2009 at 8:48pm

Alan_Cohen wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 5:08pm:
"I thought there were a few threads already started on the Sparky and at least one cook-up, but I can't seem to find anything."

Lots of good Sparky stuff in the archives.   Kiss

Lyman

Lyman Hatz
Sun Prairie, WI

IP Logged

Jim_Buxton
activemembers

Throw a Glider

Columbus Ohio
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2009 at 7:52am

Alan, build two of these, and put a PZ brick on the other. That is what I plan on doing with one!
Watching with interest.
~Jim
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2009 at 7:53am by Jim_Buxton »  

IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2009 at 8:05am

Jim_Buxton wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 7:52am:
Alan, build two of these, and put a PZ brick on the other. That is what I plan on doing with one!
Watching with interest.
~Jim

Ooooo!

I figured out what was wrong with my transmitter. Spektrum has a recall on specific Dx6i TXs. Of course mine is one of them. I'm still waiting for the recall slip though.

An RC Sparky sounds neat. I have a Starlite half finished from 6 years ago when I gave up RC. Doesn't have the same sex appeal as an RC Sparky though.

Hum...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #8 - May 13th, 2009 at 2:17pm

In order for a Sparky to be SAMS legal, it must be built from plans L10, L12, R9 or 3408. The plans I have from my kit are 3408. These do not show the subrudder. Thanks to Dick (Reddog) I now have the R9 plans as well (includes subrudder). Does anyone know what differences there are in the "L" plans? I know there are templates for a side window version. Are these part of the older plans?

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #9 - May 14th, 2009 at 3:31am

Startin' to look like a Sparky...

Question: the plans indicate a splice in the longerons a couple of bays fore of the rear peg and even illustrate a technique to accomplish it. I assume it is an effort to save weight by using lighter wood at the rear. Anybody ever do this?

I'm using 7# wood for the longerons and the only attempt to keep weight forward was to see if one end of my strip wood was heavier than the other and orient accordingly.

IMG_1137_001.JPG (122 KB | )
IMG_1137_001.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #10 - May 14th, 2009 at 3:34am

Here's a pic of the plans. It illustrates the splice, but doesn't say what to do with it. I assume, Ed assumes we know...yes?

IMG_1139.JPG (96 KB | )
IMG_1139.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:32am

Oh...I know what the splice is for. The strip wood in the kit is not long enough to go the distance...duh Roll Eyes

Pretty silly thinking the splice was for weight savings given the 'boards' supplied for printwood.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2009 at 7:37am by Alan_Cohen »  
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

crabby
activemembers

busted rubber!

Wilmington
Reply #12 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:41am

HA HA HA That was a deja vu moment for me, I went through the same
process with that splice. My Sparky is 21 years old this June.

the thread killer!

IP Logged

applehoney
SFA Staff

Freeflight .. true flight /> /> />

Ajax
Reply #13 - May 14th, 2009 at 6:15am

Ignore it - it was probably to use a smaller packing box than would have been required for full length longeron material.

Oh.. just read down . you said that ...   ignore me, too ...
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2009 at 6:17am by applehoney »  

applehoney  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #14 - May 14th, 2009 at 7:03am

I cut & pasted the "Sparky" graphics from the plan and cleaned up the background. I should be able to print this on tissue (silkspan) or make a decal at least. If anyone else can use it, feel free to copy.

sparky.bmp (136 KB | )
sparky.bmp
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dave Andreski
activemembers

Key West, FL
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2009 at 9:48am

Hi Alan,
Nice work on the Sparky so far.
Your initial post in this thread shows an L-10 version that includes side windows and has a wing area of 112 sq. in. as opposed to 115 on your R-9 version. There may be some fuselage cross sectional differences but, I can't say for sure. I never measured. Not sure of the prop size either. The title block on the L-10 plan says "Approved By Carl Goldberg" and, is dated 1940.

The R-9 was released, I think, in 1955.

I'm not familiar with the L-12 plan. I do know that an L-10A version exists. This plan shows a slightly undercambered wing airfoil, option for a 12" Folder OR Freewheeler depending on which landing gear configuration is used.

Notes for L-10A plan

1) 12" FW OR Folder prop.
2) Undercambered airfoil.
3) Sub Rudder shown. Use with 2 wheel fixed gear.
4) Stab tip sub fins shown. Use with single retract gear.
5) Single retract gear shown.
6) Notes include wing areas, weights for class C of the period.
7) Drawn by Ed Lidgard w/original COMET logos.

To add more confusion, there's an Original Sparky out there somewhere. Ed Lidgard, on the "My Sparky" plan states " I certify this Model to be the one flown in 1941". As far as I know, the "My Sparky" plan is NOT eligible for SAM competitions!

ARRGGGGHHHH

Dave Andreski
Key West, FL
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2009 at 10:20am by Dave Andreski »  

IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #16 - May 14th, 2009 at 11:10am

Thanks Dave! I wonder if anyone would get offended if I put side windows on my R9 Sparky?

If I'm not mistaken, the 3408 and the My Sparky both say "I certify this model to be the one flown in 1941". I have the My Sparky plans and it has cracked ribs as well as other weight savings features. This one is not SAMs legal, nor is the L10-A.

From what I hear, a 10.66" prop is that largest allowed by SAM - 1/3 wingspan. That brings me to another question, if I can somehow make a convertable freewheeling, folding prop front end, would it be legal for both FAC and SAM? A tall order with a spinner, but a challenge nontheless.

Oh, and another question: laminated outlines a no-no?
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2009 at 11:29am by Alan_Cohen »  
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #17 - May 14th, 2009 at 11:35am

Dave_K wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 8:06pm:
The Comet Sparky was the first kit I ever built back when you could get them at the drug store.  I was 8 years old and I the only tools I had was a dull razor and a bottle of ambroid.   My little hands where so tired from cutting all that hard balsa but I kept going and finished.   It even flew.

crabby wrote on May 14th, 2009 at 4:41am:
HA HA HA That was a deja vu moment for me, I went through the same
process with that splice. My Sparky is 21 years old this June.

I think that is one of the coolest things about building these old designs. I connects generations of modelers.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

WCarneyJX
SFA Staff

FREE FLIGHT FOREVER!

Reply #18 - May 14th, 2009 at 12:02pm

Alan,
  I just noticed in reply #1 you had the right tool for cutting that wood in the upper right corner. BTW what's with the moon lander in the box?

Bill Carney That Florida Indoor Guy

IP Logged

crabby
activemembers

busted rubber!

Wilmington
Reply #19 - May 14th, 2009 at 12:10pm

Yeah, even we "spring chickens" have taken a shot at the Sparkey!

the thread killer!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5