HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
copeland 1938 streamliner wakefield (Read 2899 times)
algy
activemembers

Australia
copeland 1938 streamliner wakefield
Jul 27th, 2008 at 1:54am

Hi Putting up a photo of the copeland wakefield I built a few years agao as a bit of a test.

Model flew right of the board and still looks great in the air. Fuselage is constructed from  stringers glued to wound balsa formers over removable card board formers. The formers are threaded on a dowel on a stand. When all the stringers are glued in place the dowel plus the cardboard formers are taken out. This leaves you with a strong hollow fuselage structure. Everything plugs into everything else so accurate construction is called for. But the plan is spot on.

IP Logged

algy
activemembers

Australia
Re: copeland 1938 streamliner wakefield
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 2:07am

Another shot of the same model. I built it exactly as per the plan. Balsa sreamlined wheels and all. It R.O.G.s  beautifully and is very stable.

The origional flew against the "slapsider" Korda wakefield and the Korda won!

Prop is carved from a solid block complete with spinner. The free wheel devise is hidden, along with a ball race. in the hollowed out spinner.

IMG_0004.jpg (37 KB | )
IMG_0004.jpg

IP Logged

gossie
activemembers

Free flight forever.

Gold Coast
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 3:10am

A very beautiful model indeed and looks well built.
I have seen a couple of them and as yours does, they fly well.

IP Logged

growermn
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

greensboro
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:38am

Very nice looking, bet you get a lot of nice flights out of it.   jeff

growermn  
IP Logged

papa
activemembers

Wind it 'til it smokes
then add a couple more

dorset
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:17am

Looks fabulous; what does it weigh as a matter of interest?

One of the Beales chappies (I can't remember which one) did  rather well with a Flying Minutes wake and of course John (call me tailless) Pool had a Bell streamliner which also looked a proper job and flew superbly.

Nice to see these being built instead of yet another Korda Wink

Best of luck with the flights

Papa

I don't have an answer, but I do admire the problem

IP Logged

JoshuaF
SFA Staff

MAXOUT

Moncks Corner
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 10:05am

Looks great. I personally still prefer the Smoothie and Hi-Ho, but that's more for performance reasons than anything else. Or maybe it's the pylon cabin... But yea, you've done a great job there, and definitely have my respect for tackling that fancy wing root fairing deal with the plug in LE and TE setup.

Sand it down to nothing, then cut it in half
WWW WWW flyingfinn5400q  
IP Logged

Tim the inspector
activemembers

I fly to grin

Thunder Bay
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 10:41am

Wow, you did an amazing job on a beautiful model, Algy.  One of those is on my long-tern to-do list.  Since you just finished one up I have a question for you, except for the sheet formers (which can be canged) is this reasonably close to the real deal?
http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2305/champ_files/champ.pdf

-Tim

IP Logged

applehoney
Forum Moderator

Freeflight .. true flight /> /> />

Ajax
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:48am

Beautiful work, Algy.  Any D/T problems?  A friend has one but it suffers damage on D/T - bamboo legs were not intended for such descents.

Somehow I feel that Plecan 'simplified' the structure for the magazine - formers fashioned from sheet sections, half shell, etc. but of course one cannot be certain now... but Copland, Warring, Bell and others used wound formers on all the streamline designs that I've seen published. With but one exception - Len Stott used sheet formers and a simple parsol mount on his 'Flying Minutes'

Tim, if you fancy attempting the 'real deal' I can supply a plan.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:51am by applehoney »  

applehoney  
IP Logged

algy
activemembers

Australia
Re: copeland 1938 streamliner wakefield reply
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:26pm

HI, Many thanks for the interest shown in my Copeland's Wakefield . In answer to the questions raised the finished "ready to fly" weight with rubber moter is given on the plan as 8.50 oz. Did not weigh mine but it would be about that. Rubber moter listed is 12 strands of quarter inch rubber 47 inches long. I flew mine on two strands less of the old grey  FAI rubber  but it still performs well. Tim I had a look at the Champion plan. It appears to be identical except for the fuselage cross section. The Copeland I built has a circular cross section with the cardboard  formers easily cut out with a circle cutter . I used an "Olfa"  The Champion is oval in cross section hence a different construction method. Feel the wound laminated formers may be stronger.

Yep the DT setup is a bit of a problem. A parachute stored in an under fuselage compartment is attached to the rear with a cord. It deploys well each time the fuse is lite. But it causes the model to come down in a steep spiral . I stopped using it when I broke the leading edge of one of the wings.
There may be a way to make it work in a more gentle fashion but I could not work it out. So go ahead build one. It is treat in flight. Slow and graceful with a deceptive climb.

IMG_0003.jpg (25 KB | )
IMG_0003.jpg

IP Logged