Carl Goldberg Viking (Read 2842 times)
boffin99
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

England
Carl Goldberg Viking
May 31st, 2008 at 11:11am

Hi Guys,

Picked up a Goldberg Hi Thrust Line Viking unstarted kit a few weeks ago. I am sure the US historians can fill me in on a few details....

1. What was this model introduced into the CG model line up?
2. What year was this model suspended from the line up?
3. Has anyone built one? Which engine? What was your experience?
4. Easy/difficult to trim? How....right/left?.....VTO launch?
5. What flying weight and how covered?

Help me out here?

Regards Ian

Regards,&&&&Boffin

IP Logged

applehoney
SFA Staff

Freeflight .. true flight /> /> />

Ajax
Re: Carl Goldberg Viking
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008 at 2:56pm

About the only thing I can offer to that list of questions is that, as a high-thrust design .. it climbs left.....

applehoney  
IP Logged

DavidErroll
activemembers

Princeton
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2008 at 4:07pm

Ian,
Which Viking?  It was made in more than one size.  Tha 1/2A Viking is the common one but CG also kitted it in larger size.

Mock

Mark

IP Logged

boffin99
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

England
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:01am

'Tis the 48"span 1/2A with an 049 power unit recco.
Does this narrow the field?

Regards Ian

Regards,&&&&Boffin

IP Logged

Ployd
activemembers

T.O.T.H

Greensborough
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 6:12am

Hi Boffin
Cannot help you with age details but believe it came out about mid 60's.
To more practical details, the photo below is of a fellow club member who has been flying one for some time; flight pattern is left - left, engine is Cox 051 on pressure and 30% nitro (hard tank), built per the plan and covered in Esaki tissue. The owner has also built another for a AME 061 which will go like a scaulded cat. I have seen it fly many times and launch attitude depicted is about right for the model (forgot this one is a bit on the porky side at 12 ozs). They will float in the lightest of conditions and love thermals.

Build the kit you've got and enjoy Cheesy

The larger Viking which came out in '62 or 3 was for FAI with the motor of choice being the Cox TD 15 (won the 1963 OZ nats in F1C power)

Ployd in OZ
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 6:16am by Ployd »  

IMG_0007A.jpg (60 KB | )
IMG_0007A.jpg
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

DavidErroll
activemembers

Princeton
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:35am

It appears both CG Vikings came out as kits in '63 just by looking at the ads in old magazines.  Carl was flying them as early as 1960 according to this history:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Goldberg.pdf

See page 5.

Mark

IP Logged

boffin99
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

England
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 3:39am

Guys,

Thanks for your help, this seems to be  a model worth building, with a considerable competition heritage.
I have completed the  tailplane, fin and very thin wing already but have to admit that I have modded the dihedral joiner from balsa to ply and used a Kevlar string wrap for peace of mind. Covering will be Esaki over Mylar for puncture resistance and if the covering goes OK, I will start on the fuselage.
I was surprised that High Thrust Line is trimmed left/left but acept that I know nothing about prop wash and its effect. All the more reason for investigating the intricacies of this layout as I would always trim a pylon layout right /left.

Watch this space,

Regards Ian

Regards,&&&&Boffin

IP Logged

applehoney
SFA Staff

Freeflight .. true flight /> /> />

Ajax
Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:03am

>as I would always trim a pylon layout right /left.

Really?    Majority fly right/right and I wouldn't consider right/left with washin to the right panel  - talking locked-up designs here of course.

Hithrust do fly left/left

applehoney  
IP Logged

staubkorb
Forum Administrator

P. Pan, Capt., Angel Sqdn.

Roedermark, Ger.
Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 1:27am

DavidErroll wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:35am:
It appears both CG Vikings came out as kits in '63 just by looking at the ads in old magazines.  Carl was flying them as early as 1960 according to this history:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Goldberg.pdf

See page 5.

Hi Group,
nice to be back online here.

Dave's remark about the marketing year appears to be correct, as my first contact with the kit (1/2A) was during my first year at NMMI (New Mexico Military Institute '62-'63).  I had seen a plan in either FM or AAM sometime previously along with a write-up of Carl's exploits with the models and wanted to build one, but the school did not have the proper facilitys and was COMPLETELY MILITARY  Wink.

Unfortunately, I never got around to building one as my parents moved away from Monterrey, Mexico and a nice place to fly FF became scarcer and scarcer  Sad.  Forced  Roll Eyes into C/L and RC.

Among my favorite FF planes were: RAMROD 600 (flown-lost), JETSTREAM, TALON, and the 1/2A VIKING.

CHEERS,   Pete

Da Debbil made me doit

WWW.oFF
WWW WWW p.dustbin46 staubkorb  
IP Logged

Mike_Taylor
activemembers

Micro Flight all the way

SoCal  Los Angeles Area
Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:06pm

I built the 1/2A Viking in 1972 or 73, so the kit was still in production then. It was tissue covered and mine had red and white tissue IIRC. It may have been just white and the red doped on, I forget... I do remember that it was superb flier, though. Mine was lost DTing onto the freeway next to the ex-AFB we had access to to fly out of.

WWW WWW mike.taylor86  
IP Logged