HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Peck Polymers Nesmith Cougar (Read 6836 times)
RussLista
activemembers

Re: Peck Polymers Nesmith Cougar
Reply #60 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:02pm

Nice build Alan  Smiley

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #61 - May 28th, 2007 at 4:05pm

Thanks! It was a lot of fun.

I just got it back from the park. It spun around nicely on .085 rubber, but when I switched to .1" it practically giggled with glee. The wind was up a bit, but it handled it well and did about 50 seconds a few times getting to about 75' with about 1100 turns. The rubber could have handled a lot more, but I dared not without risk of losing it.

This is definitely a winner.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dave W
activemembers

Oakland, California
Reply #62 - May 28th, 2007 at 6:20pm

Really nice Alan. You build a lot faster than I do!

The details add a lot of character. I really like the exhaust pipes, intake, and wheels. I wish my kit had a laser cut intake. I gave up making one after three or four tries.

I went flying yesterday and worked on trimming my Cougar. The CG seems about right but the plane was stalling a little. I added a bit of clay inside the nose block. I'm getting some good flights now. The Nesmith Cougar is a good little flyer. Some of my fellow club members have warned me not to fly it outside because I'm likely to lose it.

Here is a picture of me and my Cougar yesterday with the Marin Aero Club:

DaveW.jpg (73 KB | )
DaveW.jpg

Marin Aero Club
SAM 27
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dave_K
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Nor Cal
Reply #63 - May 28th, 2007 at 6:55pm

Dave and Alan I have to ask how you covered your stab and rudders? Did you preshrink etc?  Looks warp and wrinkle free (something I am still having a hard time achieving at the same time)

Thanks

Dave

IP Logged

Dave W
activemembers

Oakland, California
Reply #64 - May 28th, 2007 at 8:10pm

Hey Dave!

For the tail feathers I pre-shrank the Esaki on a frame and doped with 50% nitrate while still in the frame. The rest of the plane was covered with wet tissue (as explained by Duco Guru) and given one coat of 50% nitrate dope. I mixed in a little Sig retarder.

By the way, MAC seems to have gotten a reprieve (at least temporarily) and we will be flying indoors at St. Vincent's on the 4th Sunday of each month until further notice. Come on down! Lately, MAC has been flying outdoors at Lakeville Rd. on the 2nd Sunday of the month.

DW

Marin Aero Club
SAM 27
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dave_K
activemembers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Nor Cal
Reply #65 - May 28th, 2007 at 8:32pm

Great I will do that on my next light tail feathers.  I was just talking to Tom Witworth about getting on the MAC mailing list earlier today.  I do not have anything to fly indoors yet but I am sure I will build some indoor stuff next winter, and I am planning to be there for the MAC meetings at Lakeville HWY. Thanks

Dave

IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #66 - May 28th, 2007 at 10:02pm

On this one, I used about 6.5# wood at 1/16" cross section on the rudder and stab. They were pretty hardy so I did not pre-shrink. I use the old dope method of adhering tissue and shrink with 70% isopropol and then touch up with water where necessary. The entire model is lightly doped and I have no worries that the tail will distort.

Nice looking group and gym you have there, DW! I really want to start a local club by me...
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2007 at 10:04pm by Alan_Cohen »  
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

lemuel
activemembers

MMMM Peanuts..

Brisbane
Reply #67 - May 29th, 2007 at 2:21am

I have just finally got my Nesmith sorted out after 1 year of sitting on my shelf. All that i needed to do was reduce the size of the prop by a 1/2" and away she went. i am only putting on about 600/700 winds and i am getting about 28 seconds at the moment. i am afraid to apply more winds as i think that my rubber band will break so i might increase the length by a few inches to see if i can get more winds into her! for those interested i am using 2 loops of 2.2mm rubber. i think there is a pic of the nesmith at the beggining of this thread.

matthew

My wife thinks i'm insane!
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #68 - May 30th, 2007 at 3:46pm

Cry

I took the new plane out for a spin today and she caught a bit of a thermal. Just enough to throw her about 55' up into a maple tree. My 35' fiberglass pole didn't come close to reaching. I had to extend the pole 10' with fishing poles, stand on top of my 10.5' truck (while it was rockin in the breeze) and still had to extend my arms all the way. I managed to nudge it enough to knock it loose, just to discover that the prop & noseblock had wrapped around the branch. I tried pulling it but not good. I was finally able to grab the branch and rip it off. Down it came with the plane still attached. It was so tangled I had a hard time getting it loose while holding it in my hand, let alone with a 45' pole!

The good news is I got my wheels, nose and plane back. The only damage is the left wing needs rebuilding and the bottom of the fuse tissue is ripped. Might just replace the whole piece rather than trying to repair it. That's the advantage of covering with dope. Just a little thinner and the old covering comes right off. The wing will be a little trickier...

DSCN2355.JPG (45 KB | )
DSCN2355.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

dimeflyer
activemembers

have a good day Sir/Mam

Reply #69 - May 30th, 2007 at 5:01pm

A.C.
thats sad guy . Sad hope you can fix it Smiley
you just have to be carefull of the weight when you do a repair !   good luck !   George

have a good day Sir/Mam &&George/Pat

IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #70 - May 31st, 2007 at 6:43am

On initial inspection, I thought I was going to be able to get away with a quick repair. I only saw 4 breaks, 2 on the LE and 2 on the TE. The plan was to glue, pin, wait and then repair the tissue.

Plan B - After the glue had time to set the wing still felt shaky. On further inspection I noticed the center spar was shattered. At this point I decided removing and rebuilding the damaged area was my best bet for a good result.

This is why I glue with aliphatic resin and cover with dope. It allows me to saturate the damaged tissue with thinner and remove it easily without weakening the glue joints as it would if I used solvent glue. If I used white glue to or glue stick to cover I would use solvent glue to build the structure.

All in all its not too bad. Especially after seeing john's mishap over on http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1180566079/9#9

That's just awful, John. My heart bleeds. Cry Remind me again...why do we do this?  Undecided

DSCN2356.JPG (64 KB | )
DSCN2356.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #71 - May 31st, 2007 at 7:03am

Back on the plan. It's convenient that this plane was so new that I hadn't removed the plan from my building board yet. Scarf joints cut at LE, TE and spar.

DSCN2357.JPG (66 KB | )
DSCN2357.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #72 - May 31st, 2007 at 7:06am

New parts in place and waiting for the glue to dry.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2007 at 7:19am by Alan_Cohen »  

DSCN2359.JPG (84 KB | )
DSCN2359.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

lemuel
activemembers

MMMM Peanuts..

Brisbane
Reply #73 - May 31st, 2007 at 7:20am

Alan that is too bad mate. I little carbon fiber would go a long way wouldn't it. perhaps a few gussets. At least you get your planes back. My dad has lost a few that could never be returned. I can't wait to take the little nesmith out again with dad and the guys but that may be a little while off yet. Show us a pic of the finished masterpiece.

matthew

My wife thinks i'm insane!
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #74 - May 31st, 2007 at 7:35am

Since I don't own a piece of carbon fiber, I think I'll have to settle for some gussets. Not to big, but I'm thinking one at the LE, one at the TE and another one under the center spar. Squaring it all up will be the hard part. We'll see...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #75 - May 31st, 2007 at 8:04am

Since the rib that's still on the plane is set for the dihedral angle, I can simply use a piece of 1/4" scrap to act as the rib and pre-glue the gussets. In a perfect world this should give me enough surface area to ensure the wing sets just right when I mate them up...yeah right!

DSCN2361.JPG (75 KB | )
DSCN2361.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #76 - May 31st, 2007 at 12:21pm

Wing in place, glued and pinned. Fuse is pinched between 2" thick foam to keep it flat, wing tips propped up 1/2" per side and a straight edge in front to assure a nice straight wing.

DSCN2362.JPG (61 KB | )
DSCN2362.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #77 - May 31st, 2007 at 12:27pm

Glue is dry. Wings are even and no wash in or out on the repaired side. Now for the covering...

DSCN2363.JPG (31 KB | )
DSCN2363.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #78 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 5:51am

Tada...

DSCN2364.JPG (48 KB | )
DSCN2364.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Alan_Cohen
activemembers

Clinton
Reply #79 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 5:53am

A view from the top. There is a small tissue seam, but otherwise you can't tell it was repaired.

DSCN2365.JPG (54 KB | )
DSCN2365.JPG
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5